Sunday, April 15, 2012

Relational Sustainability

Sustainability…….usually this word is used in connection with farming. Growing your food and being able to supply your own needs. I like the thought of that even though it is larger in scale than what I can mange. Food wise, we are making a stab at it with our first attempt at raised bed gardening. I love seeing the vegetables growing and the herbs basking in the spring sun. But that is not really what I have been thinking about. I am thinking more about relational sustainability. Do you have what it takes to go the distance?

No life is without good times and bad. I think back on the last ten years and it seems like we were given more than our share of hardships and trials. I am not sure they are over even yet. But that has been overshadowed by the blessings we have been given. The scale is tipping far more into blessing than grief that is for sure. The birth of sweet Cameron Auburn and all of our wonderful grandsons brings joy to my heart and de-stresses my body, even if for just a little bit. The bigger question is how do we react to this balancing act together…..do we allow it to tear us apart or to strengthen us. Sometimes the answer is not so clear.

It is the highs and lows that seem to increase communication and intimacy but most dangerous of all is the lull in between the two……when life is flowing and seems to take over, washing away precious moments and conversations never had. During these moments, do we fight back and carve out time for what matters most, or do we wait for the next big event to occur? I spent the better part of my early adult life swimming in that sea of neglect. I managed to throw myself a life jacket and seek other waters and I will not drown again. The lessons I learned I want so desperately to pass along to my children and to those who matter to me. Find yourself first and then fiercely protect your time and what matters. First things, first. Don’t let life rip you apart from yourself and don’t let anyone convince you that you don’t matter. Life is hard, we all know that. We all need a port to cling to; family that loves us and helps us survive the bad and celebrate the good. Most importantly, we need to know that we matter; to ourselves first of all and then that we matter to others.

My heart is full today. My task is to keep it that way and never lose sight of what really matters. A reminder to all I love……first things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment