Friday, March 9, 2012

Road Trip

When I was little my dad would come home and say to my mom, "Let's take a little trip to..." and we would pile in the car and go. We took a cooler full of sandwiches and soda that we would eat on the road. I was allowed to pack "my suitcase" which was red plaid. In it I could take the toys (mainly dolls with their clothing) that I wanted to take. No more than that little suitcase. Our dog, Heidi, and I would get the back seat and my Mom and Dad took the front. I have no idea what year Chevy it was, but I know it was always a Chevy, and it was a turquoise blue. It might not have had air or power anything, but it did have huge bench seats with no seat belts so you could sprawl out. Off we would go. What seemed boring at times to me then, no DVDs or satellite radio, seared wonderful memories into my brain so that when I think of road trips, I get happy.

Bob and I are about to take a road trip. I take lots of them but Bob and I, not so many. We usually fly. Our road trips are at our destination in a rental car. Fun, but not the same. We are setting out to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway. Probably not the best time of year for the trip, but I am off, which makes it perfect. When I bought my car last year, I actually thought about how great it would be for the trip with the huge sunroof and comfy seats. I am ready.

I like being able to pile all that I want into the car. No weighing luggage...I can take what I want, even my pillow. I can take a cooler and snacks. With a GPS and an atlas, we can meander to our hearts content...kind of. I am not very good at spontaneous any more. I like to know where my head will rest the next night. But I am more relaxed, which is a good thing.

I am doing the driving. It saves the passenger side brake a lot of wear and tear. Don't get me wrong, Bob is a great driver. I am a bad passenger. I love to drive; always have. I love long distances and scenic vistas which I can glance at and be happy. Bob, on the other hand, likes to have that longer, lingering view, which does not mix with driving.

So we are setting off tomorrow. Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment